The USA L1 visa is a non-immigrant visa available to business owners and employees for intra-company transfers. Under this visa route, the employee qualifies if they are business owners/employees, who have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of the US company outside of the US for a continuous twelve-month period in the previous 36 months. This route is available for two types of employee who may be sponsored for USA L1 visa. This is the L1-A visa classification for temporary workers.
L1-A visa (Executive and Managers)
This scheme is available to employees who are either transferring to a US office or entering the US to set up an office. The L1-A visa is initially granted for 3 years and is extended in two increments for a maximum of 7 years. Under the L1-A visa category, the executive or the manager has supervisory responsibility for professional staff or a key function of the department or subdivision of the employer.
L1-B (Specialized Knowledge Staff)
This scheme is available for specialized employees, who have specialist skills or knowledge. L1-B category envisages those with knowledge of the company’s products/services, research, systems, proprietary techniques, management, or procedures. Employees under this category are issued an L1-B visa, for three years extendable to a maximum of five years.
USA has also the channel of the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
Requirements for an L1 Visa:
- The employee intends to leave the United States at the end of the visa term.
- The company may be a corporation, charity (or other non-profit organization), or a religious organization. Other types of companies are also
- The employer (in the US) must have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company. The diverse types of qualifying relationships consist of a parent company, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate.
- The employer must have an on-going business in the US and at least one foreign country. This means they are active in providing services because just having an office does not suffice and make them qualify.
- The employee must have acquired a minimum of one year’s continuous employment for the company outside of the US within the three years immediately before the application. Any time engaged in working in the United States will not be counted towards the twelve months.
Business Plans with projections are important evidence while applying for an L1 visa. At Smartmove Immigrations our experts possess years of expertise in all types of visa applications and have assisted about 2000 people to migrate across the globe. If you want your application to be up to the mark and if you want better clarity and understanding of the different routes available to enter the USA, just drop in your email in the form below and one of our immigration experts will be in touch with you shortly.