Open Work Permit

Open Work Permit

An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific, as it is not job specific applicants are not required to meet the Labour Market Impact Assessment [LMIA] or demonstrate that they have a job offer from a Canada employer.

An open work permit can be issued to applicants only under one of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemptions. It is possible for applicants to apply for an open work permit outside Canada, at a port of entry or after arrival to Canada, as per program requirements.

With more than 80 PNP streams available, discovering the PNP option that’s best for you can be challenging

According to current Canada Immigration rules there are two types of open work permits:
  • unrestricted (allowing foreign nationals to work in any occupation and location)
  • restricted (restricting the occupation or the location)
The categories that are exempted from Labour Market Impact Assessment are:
  • Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers
  • Spouses or common-law partners of foreign students
  • Bridging open work permits
  • Open work permit pilot program for permanent residence applicants in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
  • Post graduate work permits
  • Applicants for permanent residence from within Canada
  • Certain workers authorized to enter Canada on a reciprocal basis:
    • Canada World Youth Program participants
    • International Experience Canada: Working Holiday participants
    • family members of foreign representatives and of military personnel who are LMIA-exempt, where a reciprocal arrangement exists
    • professional athletes who are authorized to enter Canada
  • Post-secondary co-op and secondary co-op

In addition to refugee claimants, humanitarian reasons and those under an unenforceable removal order.

If you are interested in applying for spouse visa to Canada you can contact our Canada Immigration experts to apply for this visa, speak to our Canadian immigration experts on +91 7045 688 237 or email