EEA Applications

Although the split from the EU is eminent, the UK is still a member of the EU as of today and the UK permits nationals of other EU member states to enter the UK in exercise of their right of free movement within the European Union. EU nationals and their family members have the right to live and work in the UK if they meet certain very basic requirements, in order to be considered as ‘qualified’ under the Immigration Regulations 2006 (EEA Regulations).

As of today, there have been no changes in the rights and status of EU nationals in the UK< and UK nationals in the EU, as a result of the referendum. However, be sure to stay up to date on all immigration changes due to the Brexit process, on the Smart Move Immigration blog.

(Click on the topics to know more)

EEA Family Permit – Family Member
An EEA family permit is a form of ‘entry clearance’ to the UK (similar to a visa). It is for nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who are family members of EEA nationals…

Read More

EEA Family Permit – Extended Family member
Extended family members of EEA nationals residing in the UK can apply to join their family members in the UK. Regulation 8 of the EU Law provides details of extended family members. Extended family members include brother…

Read More

Residence Card as Family member of EEA National
Non-EEA family members who have joined the EEA national in the UK are eligible to apply for Residence Card. Non-EEA nationals can be the family member, or extended family member, of an EEA national…

Read More

European Passport Return Service
UK Home Office launched European Passport Return Service (EPRS) on 1st October 2016. The service has been launched to improve customer experience and to reduce the high volumes of requests being...

Read More

Retaining right of residence for non EEA Nationals
Non-EEA national family members of EEA nationals may be able to retain their right of residence in the UK if the EEA national leaves the UK or dies or the relevant marriage or civil partnership is terminated...

Read More

Surinder Singh route
Though UK is a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) non EEA family members cannot generally apply under this category to come to the UK. However you may be able to apply for an EEA family permit as a family member...

Read More

Permanent Residence
An EEA national and their family members who have resided in the UK for five years continuously in accordance with the EEA Regulations 2006 can apply for Permanent Residence in the UK. The permanent residence...

Read More

Registration Certificate as EEA National
An EEA national residing in the UK in exercise of his treaty rights can be issued with a registration certificate as confirmation of his/her right of residence under EC law. Applications can be made to the...

Read More

EEA member states





Czech Republic









Irish Republic










Portugal Citizenship By Investement






United Kingdom

Switzerland: Although Switzerland is not part of the EU, an agreement was reached in 2002 enabling Swiss nationals to have the same free movement rights as EEA nationals and their family members.

EEA Nationals

EEA nationals is the term for people who are citizens of any one of the countries listed above. Nationals of Gibraltar have full British Citizenship and are considered to be part of the EEC (European Economic Community). This means that residents of Gibraltar have the right of free movement within any EEA member state.

For any of the topic above our clients in UK or India can speak to any of our UK Visa Experts based in Mumbai | Delhi | Gurgaon | Chandigarh | London | Hong Kong | Bangalore on +91 22 2850 9857 or +91 9819 127 002 and book your appointment with our Experts.