Dependents Visa UK include unmarried Partner, Same-Sex Partners, and Civil Partners


(This article was updated on 07/07/2020)

If you are in the UK on a work visa, business visa or a student visa, you are allowed to bring your dependent to reside with you in the country for the period of your stay through dependent Visa UK. For instance, if you are in the UK on a Tier 2 General Migrant visa or are applying for the said category, then your dependents can apply for a dependent visa UK to stay with you in the UK till the time you are employed with the UK employer. If your employer extends your visa to stay in the UK, then even your dependents have the opportunity to extend their stay with you. 

However, the question that arises here is that who are regarded as dependents under UK Dependent visa? Contrary to what the word “dependent” suggests, a dependent is not someone who is financially dependent on the main applicant. Dependents include the following:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried partner
  • Same-sex partner
  • Civil partner
  • Child, under the age of 18.

No one other than the above mentioned would be considered to be dependent as per the UK Immigration Rules. What most people are unaware of in such circumstances is that you don’t necessarily have to be legally married to the main applicant to apply as a dependent. As mentioned above, you can also apply as a dependent if you are an unmarried partner, same-sex partner or a civil partner of the main applicant.

However, there are a couple of specific requirements for applying as a dependent Visa UK for Tier 2 General Visa holder other than a spouse. The most important aspect that will be assessed by the Entry Clearance Officer in such an application is the genuine and subsisting nature of the relationship of the main applicant and the dependent. For instance, if you are not married then other aspects will be looked into in terms of proving genuine relationship like; specific number of days that the main applicant and dependent have lived together or if you have a child together or if you have shared a common residence continuously etc.

Dependent visa UK applications can be filed if the main applicant has entered the UK or if you are accompanying them to the UK on Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4, Tier 5 or Representative of Overseas business.

SmartMove Immigration as top immigration consultants has assisted thousands of applicants to migrate all across the world. Our professional UK Immigration Consultants assist in all kinds of UK Visa applications. To ensure that your application has the best chance of success and to avoid additional delays or costs you can contact us on +91 22 2850 9857 or +91 9819 025 362. or email us at for further clarifications and queries. You can find our presence in New Delhi, Chandigarh, Bengaluru, as well as Mumbai, being our registered office along with international boundaries extending to London.