Covid-19 in Saint Lucia & Government measures –
The first Corona Virus pandemic case in Saint Lucia was confirmed on 13th Mar 2020, the patient is a 63-year-old woman with a travel history from the United Kingdom. As of 3rd Apr 2020, Saint Lucia has about 13 confirmed cases and zero deaths.
Following are the key measures taken by the Government of Saint Lucia to combat the spread of the virus:
- On 20 Mar 2020, Prime Minister Allen Chastanet announced that Saint Lucia would implement social distancing measures, including the suspension of nonessential commercial activity from 23 Mar 2020 to 5 Apr 2020. The government also imposed an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew.
- On 29 Mar 2020, the Prime Minister extended the shutdown to 14 Apr 2020 and extended the curfew to 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- On 23 Mar 2020, the Government of Saint Lucia declared a state of emergency and announced the closure of the country’s airports to incoming passenger flights until 5 Apr 2020.
- On 27 Mar 2020, the Ministry of Health began local testing for COVID-19 and, on 29 Mar 2020, it reported the first instance of local transmission among six new confirmed cases. The ministry also reported that 300 persons were under supervised quarantine.
- On 31 Mar 2020, the Prime Minister announced a 24-hour curfew confining all persons to their place of residence from 5 a.m. 1 Apr 2020 to 5 a.m. 7 Apr 2020. At the time of the announcement, persons were already under curfew meaning they could not make any arrangements for the new curfew.
- On 1 Apr 2020, the Prime Minister announced that mini-marts and bakeries would be open for a limited time to allow people to buy goods.
- On 2 Apr 2020, St Lucians queued up in long lines outside the briefly opened shops, mostly ignoring the prime minister’s calls to practise social distancing.
Thinking about migrating to a country of your choice? Plan ahead, call us on +91 22 2850 9857 or +91 9819 025 362. or email us at email@example.com or visit us at SmartMove Immigration to book an appointment with our Immigration experts!
Click here for all Updates on Corona Virus.