Canada PR – Starting a business in Canada

Canada presents awesome opportunities for entrepreneurs and businesses seeking to expand their business to Canada or start a new business in Canada.

Expanding your pre-existing business into Canada:

If you already have a business presence in your home country then it is possible for you to expand your business in Canada.

For instance, if you currently operate a business in India, and you want to open a business in British Columbia, you need to register your business as an extra-provincial corporation in that province.

For an extra-provincial incorporation, you will need an Agent for Service. The agent can be an individual, 18 years of age or older who is a resident of Ontario, or an organization having its registered office in British Columbia.

Note: British Columbia is the province we have used in this example, but all the Canadian provinces and territories have similar requirements. If you would like to expand your business in Canada, contact our Canada Immigration experts at for more details.

On the other hand, if you want to start a company in Canada and do not already have an established business in your country of origin, there is another way you can open a business in Canada.

Starting a Business in Canada by Migrating There

If you wish to live in Canada while starting a business there (and running it), you could apply to come to Canada as a business migrant. This is how you will be able to both start a business in Canada and live there simultaneously.

When you study the information on immigration to Canada from the government website, you’ll see that there are two types of business migrants according to Canadian law: entrepreneurs and ‘self-employed’ persons. These two types of migrants require two distinct types of immigration options respectively; Start Up Visas for entrepreneurs and the self-employment visas for self-employed persons. As of February 11, 2014, these new categories have replaced the previous Immigrant Investor and Federal Entrepreneur programs.

To come to Canada as a self-employed person you must have either:

  • Have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics, and intend and be able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic progress of Canada, or
  • Be experienced in farm management, and have intent and ability to buy and manage a farmland in Canada.

There are other factors that also affect your application to enter Canada through the self-employed immigration route. Other factors affecting your application to come to Canada as a self-employed person include your age, education, adaptability and language abilities. You must be able to listen, speak, read and write English or French proficiently to come to Canada. This requirement holds true for any of the immigration options for entering Canada.

The Bottom Line

If you are a person from outside Canada who is interested in starting a business in Canada, you will have to either immigrate to Canada, or find one or more Canadians to team up with for your business. The only way you can live in Canada and operate your business is if you immigrate to Canada through one of the routes highlighted in this article.

The good news is that our associates at The SmartMove2Canada [unit of Smartmove Immigration] have had extensive experience in Canadian Migration applications. We can offer our assistance and/or guidance to you in your immigration plans to Canada. To ensure a clear understanding of the process of migrating to Canada along with everything it entails, book an initial consultation with our immigration advisors today on +91 7045 688 237 or email your updated resume for a free evaluation to