(This article was updated on 24/06/2020)
If you are applying for visa as dependent of a Tier 2 general migrant, you should check the following:
Are you eligible
Tier 2 dependent visa is only limited to immediate family members of individuals who have applied or you have got the Tier 2 visa can apply for a Tier 2 Dependent visa.
Meaning of immediate family for Tier 2 dependent visa
Immediate family members are limited to
- Civil partner
- Unmarried or same sex partner
- Child under 18.
Do you meet the maintenance funds requirement?
Tier 2 dependents have no recourse to public funds, in their application, they must evidence access to sufficient financial means for the duration of leave in the UK and where there are dependents, they must show an extra £630 available for each dependent.
Maintenance funds requirement can be met either by:
- Applicant having savings in their own account or
- Main applicant’s employer certifying maintenance
Have you provided the relevant evidence to meet the maintenance fund requirement?
In order to prove that the applicant has sufficient funds they can provide:
- Original bank statements- evidencing that the funds have been held in the bank account (of the Tier 2 visa holder or their dependent) for longer than 90 days before the application date.
- Letter from the bank in the prescribed format confirming the same
If you are applying for your child as dependent of a Tier 2 visa holder to travel with you or join you in the UK, then the rules can be more complex
To qualify as a child dependent, one of the following should apply:
- The family or one of the immediate family member has applied for a Tier 2 visa.
- One parent is in the UK while other is applying together with the child to join as a dependent from aboard.
There are a couple of exceptions to the above, namely if
- Only one parent is alive
- Where one parent solely holds the sole custody of the child
When can dependents apply?
Tier 2 dependents can apply at the same time as the Main applicant or they can apply later to join the main applicant in the UK.
Do Tier 2 dependents have a right to work in UK
The tier 2 dependent are permitted to work in the UK.They don’t have to apply for any additional permissions – except if they are intending to work as a doctor or dentist in training or as professional sports including sports coach.
Can Tier 2 dependents study in the UK
Yes, Tier 2 dependents can enrol on a course of study either on a full time or part time basis, there are no restrictions on the same.
If you have applied for Tier 2 dependent visa or are considering applying for Tier 2 dependent visa, then you can contact our UK Immigration experts at The SmartMove2UK [division of SmartMove Immigration] for any advice or assistance with your UK visa application. You can email us at email@example.com or call on +91 22 2850 9857 or +91 9819 025 362.