In this article, you will learn:
- What is Golden Portugal Visa?
- Portugal golden visa investment fund type and its requirements
- Golden Visa Portugal for Residency – things you need to know before applying
- Benefits of Portugal golden visa investment fund
What is Golden Portugal Visa?
A Golden Portugal Visa is a program for individuals looking to obtain residency and eventually gain Portugal citizenship by investment. It is also known as Portugal Golden Visa Residence Program. The program was established in October 2012 to attract foreign investors from non-EU countries by providing a fast track to get a fully valid residency permit in Portugal. This ‘golden’ residence then allows you to obtain citizenship several years down the line, if you are qualified.
Portugal golden visa investment fund type and its requirements
It is clear that this program is only for those looking to obtain Portugal residency by investment. The Portuguese government has set up various investment methods and levels of investments that will grant legalization to foreign citizens from (non-EU countries).
There are 3 Portugal Golden Visa real estate investment categories which are more stable and attractive than most Golden Visa countries are
1. Portuguese Real Estate Investment
2. Golden Entrepreneur Visa
3. Capital Contributions in Portugal
Portuguese Real Estate Investment
- Your first choice is to invest in any property worth €500.000 ($585,000) or more. You can choose to invest all of it on one property or buy multiple properties – the total net worth of the properties must add up to at least that amount.
- Your second choice is incentivizing rehabilitation of older properties by lowering the investment cost to €350.000. The property you choose can be from anywhere in the urban rehabilitation area but it must be at least 30 years old and an ongoing renovation project.
- Your third choice is with the aim of increasing investment in the Portuguese countryside. It is the cheapest option of all at just €280.000, but only real estate investments in rural properties qualify.
Golden Entrepreneur Visa
This category is often overlooked among others from the Golden Portugal Visa program. It is not a suitable option for everyone, but if you fit the requirements, it could save you €500.000 in real estate investments while being eligible for an EU residence permit.
- The main requirement for a Golden Entrepreneur Visa is that you create a total of at least 10 jobs in Portugal and register each employee under the Portugal Social Security System.
- You must also be able to meet the financial requirements like 23.75% of gross wages to social security and employees pay a rate of 11% on their salary.
It is mandatory to meet this criterion to qualify for the visa. Other taxes include of corporate and personal tax income, although the corporate tax rate hasn’t increased in the past few years and seems to have plateaued at 21%.
On the other hand, the personal income tax rate is progressive from 14.5% to 48%, but that can be reduced if you can prove that you are a non-habitual resident.
Capital Contributions in Portugal
Apart from real estate and entrepreneur investment routes, there are various capital contribution options in place. Since the recent changes made, this option has become more attractive. It saves you the hassle of looking for a property, the paperwork and getting your choice of property approved, and real estate transaction fees and taxes.
- You can make a capital transfer with a value equal to or above €1.500.000
- Invest at least €500.000 in a capital venture fund from a Portuguese company. The company must be at least 5 years old and a head office in the country.
- Invest at least €500.000 in an existing Portugal company while creating 5 permanent jobs for a minimum of 3 years
Golden Visa Portugal for Residency – things you need to know before applying
- You will be blocked from investing in properties in high-density areas.
- Higher investment in Low-density area
- Minimum investment increased to €350,000
- Golden visa permits, granted before 1st January, will not be affected by the changes detailed above
Benefits of Portugal golden visa investment fund
- It allows you to live anywhere in the Schengen area
- Allows you to obtain Portugal citizenship at the end of 5 years while allowing visa-free travel to more than 170 countries.
- Allows you to work, study and live in any of the 28 EU countries; once you have acquired citizenship.
- No taxes on worldwide income when deemed a resident (spent more than 6 months in a year) of Portugal
- The residency extends to spouse, parents and children over 18 years of age – if they are proven to be financially dependent on the main applicant, can be included in the application.
The Portuguese Golden Visa allows the holder to build a life in the UK while working and later gaining citizenship. The objective of the Golden Visa program is to promote investment in low-density areas, urban renovation, job creation, etc. It also encourages foreign investors to invest in Portugal and get a residence permit. For anybody who wants to move abroad and gain citizenship through investment, then this is the perfect opportunity.
We at SmartMove2UK have UK immigration lawyers based in India – Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and Chandigarh and UK – London. Our experts consult clients online from all around the world via Zoom, Skype and WhatsApp. If you would like to visit us, you can do so at our offices in Mumbai and Delhi.
What is Portugal golden visa?
A Portugal Golden Visa is a residence visa for non-EU nationals who are willing to make a significant investment in Portugal, such as real estate, capital investment & creating employment opportunities. It is a fast track for potential investors to invest and live in Portugal while working towards citizenship.
What is Portugal’s golden visa program?
A Portugal golden visa is a program for individuals looking to gain Portugal citizenship by investment. It is also known as Portugal Golden Visa Residence Program. It was established in October 2012 with the aim of attracting foreign investors from non-EU countries by providing a fast track to get a fully valid residency permit in Portugal.
Who is eligible for a Portugal golden visa?
Since a Golden Portugal Visa is a program for residency through investment, those capable of investing in either of the routes set up by the program, are eligible for Golden Portugal Visa.
How do I get a golden visa for Portugal citizenship?
The Portuguese Golden Visa program is a route through investment. There are multiple ways through which you can invest, that will eventually lead to residency/citizenship.
- Choose the type of investment you want to make – From all the investment options available like real estate investments, golden entrepreneur visa and capital contributions.
- Get the requirements right – The requirements for all types of investments vary in different terms (link) you can refer to the link to find out more
- Make the investment along with the necessary documents to your choice of investment and then find out how long until you naturalise your citizenship.
How much does Portugal Golden Visa cost?
The visa fees may be subject to fluctuations, presently the application fee as per the government fees per family member for Golden Portugal Visa are €5,336.40. An additional processing fee on the application of €533.90 for the main applicant and €83.30 per family member.
Can I get a Portuguese Golden Visa with a mortgage?
There is a mortgage option set up for investors looking to take up a mortgage to pay for the investment in Portugal. Although, to qualify for the mortgage, you are required to invest the required minimum amount into Portugal from your account outside of Portugal.
How can I get permanent residency in Portugal?
The Golden Portugal Visa offers various investment routes which lead to residency or citizenship, along with more benefits. You must make and maintain your qualifying investment for a minimum of 5 years. While an initial investment will not automatically bring you a passport, but it will set you on the path to citizenship/ permanent residency.
What are the benefits of a Portuguese Golden Visa?
Among the many benefits of the Portuguese Golden Visa – here are a few that caught the attention of potential investors.
- The Portuguese Golden Visa permit grants you visa-free travel privileges within the Schengen Area and many other countries around the world.
- Besides the right to live in Portugal and working towards citizenship, you can also work there. Once a resident of an EU country, you have the right to live and work in any of the EU/EEA countries.
- If you want to work and spend most of your time outside of Portugal while you wait for your citizenship/residency by naturalization, you can.
- The only request by Portugal is that if you would rather spend your time working and living outside the country, you spend at least 7 days in the country in your first year of residence and a total of 14 days for each of the following 2-year period before applying for naturalization.
- Another attractive benefit of the program is that Portugal’s real estate market is one of the most secure among all the Golden Visa countries.
What are the Portugal golden visa requirements?
- You must be over 18 years of age
- You must be investing in the Portuguese economy and maintaining it for at least 5 years
- You must have no criminal record
- The money you invest must be yours and not borrowed/loaned (if the mortgage is from a bank in Portugal, you have to meet the required minimum amount, to qualify for one)
What are the new Portugal Golden Visa rules-2022?
- The Investment fund amount has increased from €350,000 to €500,000
- The Capital transfer amount has increased from €1 to €1.5 million
The changes will be enforced from 1st January 2022.